It was Chicken Parmesan.
Brandon had just returned home from Afghanistan and came to Hays for a few days to visit me and other friends. Since this was the first meal I'd be making him, I wanted it to be extra special and delicious--I decided on making this Chicken Parm and it was excellent! We had dinner by candlelight, drank wine, listened to Sinatra, and just talked.. it was a wonderful night that will forever be etched in my memory.
Fast forward four years and we had this again while we watching Duck Dynasty in the living room and listening to Jackson yelling at the cat.. what a difference a few years make (but I wouldn't trade it for the world)!
Now that I'm a health conscious mamma with a slowing metabolism, I try to prepare dinners that are light, nutritious, and tasty--and the way I prepared this Chicken Parmesan was just that! Here is the recipe I used with the alterations:
Chicken Parmesan (Adapted from Southern Food)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese (made with skim milk)
- 1 jar (16 oz) heart healthy spaghetti sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- Whisk together the egg and milk. Dip the chicken breasts in milk and egg mixture and then in bread crumbs. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken in the hot oil on both sides until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Set chicken in a baking dish.
- Slice 8 pieces of mozzarella cheese and put two on each chicken breast. Pour 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce over all. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and a little more mozzarella and bake at 350° for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Serve with whole wheat or garden vegetable spaghetti and a spinach salad.
This recipe is rich, delicious, and perfect for picky children (or husbands) who refuse to eat their vegetables!