Monday, October 12, 2015

The Band-Aid Trick

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!

Did you miss me? Or did you find that the silence was golden?

Don't answer that.

I apologize for my absence last week... I had every intention of getting back into the swing of things, but life (once again) got in the way. After returning home from our Disney trip almost 2 week ago, I have not only been playing catch up with my OIYS and MammaTech writing, but I've also been trying to get ahead before leaving for Vegas on Wednesday. These are crazy and busy times, but I wouldn't change them for the world.

One of the biggest things that happened last week (that also prevented me from blogging) is that my little baby boy is finally weaned/sleeping through the night... Can you believe it?! It ONLY took 21 months. Actually, if I'm being completely honest, I've dreaded weaning for a long, long time -- I absolutely loved that closeness with Jax and liked being able to comfort him by doing such a seemingly simple gesture. But with Jackson's overnight stays with Grammy & Grandpa coming in the next week/few months, it was time.

For those who might not know, Jackson used to ONLY fall asleep while nursing -- and half the time he'd sleep most of the night in bed with us. I was petrified to wean him, and saw nothing but misery in his, Brandon's, and my immediate futures. But alas, I knew that it needed to be done... but how?

After consulting my good friend, the internet, I discovered lots of helpful (and not-so-helpful) advice on how to wean and encourage self-weaning.

The first tip? Rub on a little lemon juice just before nursing your toddler.

GENIUS, right?!

Nope... not for my son, apparently. We tried it a few times before our Houston trip, but he apparently decided he could look past it.

Next was a concoction of orange juice, lemon, and salt.

Didn't even phase him.

Vinegar?

Nah.

By this point, I was feeling so discouraged and was beginning to accept the fact that he'd probably nurse until he was in high school when an idea popped into my head...

TAPE!

After consulting Google for "tape nipple weaning" (don't really Google this, btw), I found a thread in which a mom said she used Band-Aids and told her daughter she had "ouchies" anytime she asked to nurse.

Since the vinegar and lemon didn't work, I didn't have too much hope for the Band-Aids, but figured we'd give it a go.

The last time I nursed Jackson was as he feel asleep on Thursday, October 1st. Luckily (and unusually), he didn't wake up until 6am, at which point I told him I had "owies" and couldn't nurse him. After several attempts at nursing through the Band-Aids (and lots of tears from both him and me), he finally succumbed to the fact that it just wasn't going to happen and cuddled on the couch with me while watching early morning PBS cartoons.

From that point on, it kept getting better. I had a pretty big meltdown that Friday afternoon, but after cuddling and napping with my little brown eyed, blonde hair boy, I felt much better.

Jackson is now sleeping the ENTIRE night on his own and wakes up bright and early each morning with a big smile on his face. It's amazing just how much his sleep habits and appetite have changed since he stopped nursing, so I know that this was the best thing for him (though I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still a little sad about it...)! The only big downside? He won't nap unless he's in his stroller or car seat. Oh well... baby steps, right?

As for me, I hurt a bit (from being engorged) the first few days, but didn't have any clogged ducts/mastitis/anything else along those lines. I feel very blessed to have had such a smooth transition from nursing!

~~~
In Other News...

On Saturday, Jackson and I spent the whole day outside helping Brandon dig the trenches for our new sprinkler system and I. Still. Hurt. I never realized what a good workout shoveling is, but I can definitely vouch for it -- I'm feeling muscles I never knew existed in my arms, back, and legs. Brandon spent his entire 3-day weekend fixing the outside hose, prepping the yard, digging, and organizing, so I can only imagine how badly he's hurting...

I was able to have a fondue date with one of my best girlfriends last Monday and it was just what I needed!! We laughed, talked, drank wine, and ate our weight in fabulous meats, cheeses, and chocolate. Yum!

I was FINALLY able to get Jackson's hair cut on Friday! If there's one thing in this world that this kid absolutely hates, it's getting his hair cut. We had a bit of a rough start, but he definitely calmed down toward the end and enjoyed watching "Lion King" while eating his animal crackers. I also took him out for ice cream after, which always makes things better :)

Jackson is such a little ham these days and, unprompted, will smile and say "EEE!" (cheese) whenever I get my phone out. Love him!!

On Thursday, Jax and I went to a pumpkin patch with our mom's group from church and had the best time! God brings people in your life for certain reasons and He knew that I needed a group of strong, fun, and faithful women to journey through motherhood with. I'm not going to lie -- 2014 wasn't the greatest year for me because I felt really lonely without any nearby girl/mom friends. Things have done a complete 180 and I feel so blessed to call these women my friends and to see Jackson forming bonds with their kids. God is good!

Are you still reading this?! Okay, you're officially my new favorite person! I'm going to wrap this up, but will see you again Wednesday when I share Disney pictures (lucky, lucky you :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs