Friday, September 7, 2012

If you're traveling through Colorado..

..and need to stretch your legs a bit, check out the Genoa Tower in scenic Genoa, Colorado!

The Genoa Tower features..

The world famous two-headed calf! 
 This pickled 8-footed pig fetus! 
The stairwell of death! 
  
This view of glass bottles!

Okay, okay, in all seriousness.. the Genoa Tower is one of the most bizarre/interesting/humorous places you will ever visit. It's definitely worth checking out. The Genoa Tower is actually the highest point between New York City and Denver (surprisingly, the elevation on the plains of eastern Colorado is higher than Denver) which makes for even more of an interesting experience.. especially if you get altitude sickness..

I am from the eastern plains of Colorado and have visited the Genoa Tower on several occasions. However, my dear fiance has not so it was time to introduce him to this gem on the plains.
Upon our arrival--I insisted we do a tourist pic in front of the "See 6 States" sign.
So.Much.Stuff.
The tower.  
"I've seen this movie before.. it doesn't end well." (The ceiling in one of the rooms)
We made it to the top! 
I think that's Oklahoma behind me? Maybe. Surprisingly, I can't remember which 6 states we saw.
  
 Climbing back down the stairwell of death.
I'm going to school for media studies, so I thought this old camera was pretty legit.
 
 Pikes Peak?

That's kind of weird..

If these pictures don't convince you, I don't know what will! Seriously though, if you're traveling along I-70, check it out. It only costs $1 and it will be an adventure you won't soon forget.

Have you ever been to the Genoa Tower? Does this remind you of any other unusual roadside attractions? Let me know in the comments! And please follow me!

14 comments:

  1. Uh...so weird! I absolutely love quirky roadside attractions and i want to know how I have lived in Colorado for 10 years and never even heard of this place! So funny-thanks for sharing
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where in CO do you live? You HAVE to check it out! Let me know what you think :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I just had to laugh at that stairwell of death. Ive seen many of those where i came from. What an interesting trip :-)

    Myric
    myricandreasen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny! I haven't had too much experience with those kinds of stairwells, so I was freaking out the entire time.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. That is a must see! If I ever travel I70 it WILL be a stop along the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do! And let me know what you think!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I wish I could take a road trip and travel that part of the country and take in all those kinds of fun and quirky places. We did take a trip from FL to CA when I was a kid and I loved the sights. Thanks for sharing this one with us. I'm your newest follower. Hope you'll stop over and visit me at Quirky Vistas and follow as well, if you like.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't childhood road trip memories the best? You'll definitely have to check out this CO treasure sometime :)

      Thanks for the follow--I'm your newest follower as well! Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  5. Oh, that looks like so much fun!! Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay so we are traveling through Colorado and I was wondering at which stores near Pueblo, Colorado Springs, or Fountain carry Mountain Bars? Thanx so much...

    regards,
    hvac training in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny, I am born and raised in Colorado and have never heard of this place. Totally need to check it out. Looks like a fun place to explore. Found you on Oldie but a Goodie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too live in CO and have never heard of it?! May just have to take a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your spirit and this post is wild!
    Thanks for sharing it at the oldies party last week!
    The next party will be live on Monday night,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs