Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Five Stages of Getting a New Job

A few weeks ago, I got a new job.

Finding a job I could do at home with Jax (in addition to my marketing) is something I prayed about, searched high and low, and constantly scoured for on Craigslist.

I finally found it.

I'm currently writing daily entertainment articles for a national site and couldn't be happier -- my bosses/co-workers are awesome, the work itself is a blast, I get to keep working while staying home with my little tyke, AND I'm learning a ton about my home state! It's a win/win/win/win.

Anyway, from the time I was offered the job to the time I started writing/setting up posts, I experienced 5 all too familiar feelings. I've worked several different industries in my 25 years (retail, hospitality, journalism, and food to name a few) and have felt these varying emotions every single time -- and this time around, it finally occurred to me what was happening.

You know how there's the 5 stages of grief? Well there's also the 5 stages of getting a new job. Don't believe me? Read on..

Ladies and gentlemen: I present to you the Annie Sandmeier Model (or the 5 Stages of Getting a New Job).

1.) Shock - One of the first reactions is shock, wherein the applicant cannot believe they were the (supposed) most qualified candidate out of all the (assumed) people who applied.

2.) Excitement - When the applicant recognizes that they did indeed get the job and that shock cannot continue, it becomes excited, possibly a little cocky. Certain psychological responses of a person undergoing this phase would be: "Eff yeah! I got the freaking job!"; "Hey *insert significant other's name here*, I got the job so you need to take me out and give me a back rub to celebrate!"; "I need to go out and spend all the money on new work clothes (which, in my case would be yoga pants and pajamas, since I work from home)!" 

3.) Pure, Unadulterated Panic - The third phase involves recipient realizing that the cockiness may have been a bit premature. Usually, the job recipient is given a swift kick in the ego and begins to negotiate with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle: "Hi God; it's Annie again.. I'm sorry I got so ahead of myself with this new job.. Again.. I pray that this first week goes smoothly and that I can quickly learn everything I need to do.. If it does, I promise to limit my Netflix binging. Amen."

4.) Self Doubt - "I can't do this job! Why did I think I could handle this?!" "Why did I apply for a writing job.. I can't even write!" 

5.) Acceptance - "Okay, okay.. so maybe I CAN do this." "You got this, girl! Just remember to breathe." In this last stage, individuals embrace the new job, figure out their new schedule, and overall just get their shi stuff together. 

I think that the hardest part for me was getting used to the writing, deadlines, etc., but once I found a good balance and made myself a little schedule, I realized that everything would be just fine! I try to do most of my work either very early in the morning (before Jackson is awake) or wait to do it after dinner (when Brandon is home and can watch him for a bit). I'm loving my new job and feel extremely blessed to be doing what I'm doing from home! 



Just another afternoon at the office.
If you're interested in following my posts, the address is http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/category/colorado/ (or you can just click on the "OIYS" tab at the top of this page). 

1 comment:

  1. Self doubt is always a killer but they wouldn't have given the job to you if they didn't believe in you- chin up!

    50 Beauty and Life HACKS Every Girl Should Know♡

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs