Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Doughnut Kabobs, Photo Booths and the Time I Almost Died (Again)

Another fun and eventful weekend has come and gone (seriously, I feel like we've been hitting the "perfect weekend" jackpot lately--such a thing exists, right?)..

We headed east early Friday afternoon to the "Heart of America"--that's right folks, we traveled to Kansas City (technically Overland Park and Lawrence.. but you get the idea)! One of my friends from college was getting married on Saturday so we decided to make a weekend out of it and visit some good friends while we were out there.. we had such a wonderful time! I'll let the bullet points and pictures tell the rest of the story.

Friday:
  • Left town shortly after noon.
  • Had to turn around a few miles outside of town because Brandon forgot his clothes for the wedding.
  • Realized we were hungry and picked up Wendy's before getting back on the road. 
  • Made the trek across Kansas. 
  • Arrived at our friend Jana's house shortly after 5; sat around and visited for awhile.
  • Dinner at Red Robin.
  • Lounged around, chatted with Jana, Brandon W. and (my) Brandon, and watched the final Rock Center with Brian Williams (bring it back, NBC!!).
  • Slept fabulously. 
One of my favorite things about summer is this salad from Wendy's.. I can't get enough!
Jana and Brandon W.'s son, Brooks--he is such a cutie (he people watched the entire time we were at Red Robin)!
Saturday
  • Jana made delicious fruit and doughnut kabobs for breakfast and then took (my) Brandon and me shopping around town (it was my first time visiting a Gordmans... I think I'm in love). 
  • Met our friends Tyler and Jessica at Denny's for a late lunch (I didn't get anything too weird this time.. I did my regular Fit Slam drowned in Tobasco). 
  • Attended Dawna and Devin's fabulous wedding in Overland Park. 
  • Caravanned to the reception in Lawrence with Tyler, Jessica and our friend Heidi. 
  • Had a blast visiting, eating and and dancing at what was probably the most fun wedding reception I have ever been to.
  • Drove as far as Topeka (which isn't very far at all) and got a hotel room for the night. 
  • Slept amazing.
Terrible picture, but here are Brooks, Jana and Brandon W. (legs) on Saturday morning.
The breakfast kabobs--seriously, how pretty are these (and yes, they tasted as good as they look)?!
The King of all Thrift Stores!
My pimpin' husband.
Instead of the traditional bubbles or rice, Dawna and Devin handed out noise makers for their grand exit from the church. Brandon, Tyler and Jessica all got the Chinese Ping Pong Paddle Clicky Noisemakers..
..and Heidi got the barrel whistle that sounds like a duck!
The reception venue was perfect--the room was huge and all decked out in lights and balloons. Once Dawna and Devin are back from their honeymoon and have their wedding pictures back from the photographer, I'm going to see if I can do a post all about their wedding--it was definitely the most fun and creative one I have ever been to!
The fun couple shredding it up on the dance floor!
The "tower of cupcakes" cake was beautiful! I wish I would have taken more pictures of everything!
Yes, the reception was complete with a photo booth (and a man who made balloon animals for the kids--how genius is that?!)!
Sunday
  • Slept in a bit and ate breakfast at our hotel (we stayed at the Topeka Ramada Inn and I must admit that I was very impressed--the rooms were really clean, we got an awesome rate for booking last minute and it came with a free, hot breakfast buffet).
  • Started making the trek home. 
  • Ran into an even more terrible storm than last weekends (at 10:50am--there is no good time to travel in Kansas!). This storm had hail.. we almost died again, you guys! *I can sense my husband rolling his eyes as he reads this..*
  • Stopped to see Mamma Nancy at work and Joe, Britney (Brandon's sister) and their family for a few minutes. 
  • Arrived home at 3pm, hugged Bitsy and took a 3-hour nap. 
It dawned on me that I hadn't taken any hotel pics for this post.. so I snapped a quick breakfast pic.
What the hail, Kansas?!
We couldn't have picked a prettier spot to pull over at (it was still hailing at this point).
We're staying home this weekend and working around the house which will be a nice change of pace but not nearly as fun and eventful as these last two weekends! Oh well.. On a happier note, my mom called me today and informed me that she and her best friend, (Auntie) Sharon, are coming out for a few days next week! I LOVE it when those two visit!! 

How was your weekend?

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I need to go to City Thrift, now.

    Also, if you love Gordman's I'd advice you to NOT go to the one in Wichita (at least the one on Rock) because it is so crowded and kind of janky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. city thrift is like 2 minutes from my house! so is red robin, assuming you went to the one at 95th and metcalf.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs