Tuesday, September 1, 2015

It Is a Pretty "Grand" Lake...

Two weeks ago, our little family of three took our first ever vacation (with just the three of us, that is) and it couldn't have gone any better!

My Aunt Millie has a gorgeous cabin up in Grand Lake, which we FINALLY decided to take advantage of. The drive from Denver to Grand Lake is maybe 2 hours and 15 minutes -- I can't count the number of times Brandon and I looked at each other and asked "why didn't we do this sooner?" We arrived in GL late Thursday afternoon and got settled into the cabin before heading into town to enjoy dinner and drinks at the Sagebrush, run around the playground with Jackson, and indulge in some delicious homemade ice cream at one of the local creameries.
We pack lightly. 
The cabin has the coolest loft area with twin beds for the kids -- Jax wasn't too sure what to think.. Maybe next time!
If you ever visit Grand Lake, you MUST go to Sagebrush (Jackson got a kick out of throwing peanut shells on the floor) -- SO good!
All tuckered out after a fun day of traveling and exploring!
We woke up early Friday morning and ate a big breakfast (prepared by Brandon) before heading out to Granby Lake to try our luck at fishing. Brandon tested the waters for nearly 2 hours and didn't get a single nibble, but we still had a fun time enjoying the quiet and watching Jax throw rocks into the water. Friday afternoon consisted mostly of resting, writing (for me), and eating way too much yummy food. 
He LOVES the mountains!
Jackson was taking selfies as Brandon buckled him into his car seat.
The infamous "dad is wiping my nose" selfie. 
These two melt my heart.
It doesn't get better than having a hot guy cook for you.
Made from scratch chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn -- OMG SO DELISH!
Pure heaven.

Saturday morning was spent mostly cleaning and eating another huge breakfast (thanks babe!) -- around nap time, we started to head back down the mountain, making a pit stop in Idaho Springs for Brandon & Jackson's first Beau Jo's pizza. 
I thought for sure that Jax would nap the entire way home, but he kept himself occupied with a good book and a few of his cars :)
He had a blast on vacation but was sure excited to come home and see his friends again!
Some of my favorite childhood memories took place at the cabin and I'm so excited to be able to share this special place with my own family! Our first vacation with just the three of us was a smashing success and I can't wait to return to the mountains again (hopefully) very soon! 

Final, mushy thought: I feel so incredibly blessed to call Colorado my "home" -- this state really has the best of everything with its beautiful cities, majestic mountains, and rolling plains. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Kansas, but I guess Colorado is just as pretty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs