Friday, September 25, 2015

Toddlers & Technology: Helpful or Hurtful?

As I mentioned last week, I am now writing for Mamma Tech and thought I would stop by today to share my first article!! Enjoy!

My little munchkin crunching numbers and playing on his tablet..
Can I let you all in on a little secret?
Technology is NOT my forte… like, at all.
Growing up in the early 90s, the most techie toys/gadgets we really had were Teddy Ruxpins, replica Talkboys from Home Alone, and our mom’s boxy Nokia phone (that maybe had Snake on it). That was it. Today, 5-year olds have THEIR OWN smart phones, social media accounts, and selfie sticks.
Don’t get me wrong; I think it’s great that our leaders of tomorrow know so much about technology, as I predict know it will become more and more vital down the road. However, now that I’m a mom, it really bothers me when I see toddlers, school-aged children, and teenagers burying their faces in their (or their parents) phone or tablet instead of exploring and interacting with the world around them. Are we unknowingly raising a generation of anti-social beings who cannot function without some sort of gizmo in their hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs