Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Heavenly Brunch Cuisine

I would like to dedicate today's post to my dear friend, Heidi--and I will explain why..

A couple Sunday's ago, Heidi and I went out for brunch with a major hankering for pancakes. When we went to IHOP at 11am, we hadn't considered the post-church crowd that would be there. Long story short, the wait was ridiculous, so we ended up having chicken and noodles at a local chicken shack. Granted, the chicken and noodles were delicious.. but they just weren't pancakes.

The whole next week at work, we were talking about how badly we still wanted pancakes. So FINALLY, a week and a half later, we forced our friends to go to IHOP with us and eat pancakes. The pancakes were good, but it still didn't satisfy my craving. Fast forward to this morning--Heidi, a couple of our friends and I went shopping for costumes for an upcoming theme party and started talking, once again, about how hungry we were and how great pancakes sounded. We didn't act on the craving but it continued lingering with me.. so I got home, looked in the cabinets and discovered I had nothing to make pancakes with. Sigh.

However, I did find bread.. which is used in french toast...

So, Heidi, in a very round about way, you inspired me to make brown sugar french toast for lunch which is why this entry is dedicated to you (well, that and you're an awesome friend and my favorite person to get Sunday brunch with)!

Side Note: I have always hated making french toast because I loathe having to stand over the skillet while the bread cooks (which is the way my dad always did it). Come to find out, you can make it in the oven and it comes out softer and more moist. If you prefer to fry it or prefer a more crisp outside, bypass oven steps.

Tip: You can use regular milk, but I highly recommend Almond Milk. It's fewer calories (not that it really matters with french toast but still) and gives the toast better taste. 

Tip: Spray down cookie sheet with non-stick butter spray before setting in oven--otherwise THE BREAD WILL STICK!! Trust me, I learned this the hard way.

Anngredients:
  • 6 pieces of whole wheat bread
  • 1 cup Almond Milk
  • 2 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 egg
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. In bowl, combine milk, brown sugar, vanilla and egg. Mix well.
  3. Dip both sides of bread into mixture and set on sprayed cookie sheet. 
  4. Bake in oven for 8 minutes, then flip bread and cook additional 8 minutes on other side.
  5. Serve with syrup, powdered sugar or fresh fruit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs