Thursday, November 14, 2013

He's Shifty, Nifty, and Now He's 50!

..sorry dad, I couldn't think of any other words that rhymed with fifty..

..Hmm, I just realized that "thrifty" would have worked..

Oh well, on with the post.

My dad turns the big 5-0 today and to celebrate, I wanted to share with you all just a couple of reasons why my dad is the greatest.
  • If you personally know my dad, you know that he is one of the kindest, hardest working, and most honest people that you will ever meet.
  • He'll be the first to give you the shirt off his back (literally; we were on vacation one time and as we drove back to our hotel from the hot springs, my dad gave my brother his dry shirt to help warm him up.. and then we were pulled over for a having a taillight out so we were expecting to see our shirtless dad on an episode of "Cops" but that's beside the point.) and the last to leave when he's helping someone.
  • That man can make me laugh harder than anyone else I know--he is really quick and witty and can always think of the perfect thing to say. 
  • In running his business (my parents own an engineering company), he has always demonstrated the value of hard work and the importance of forming and maintaining good relationships with clients by being honest and treating them with respect.
  • I can't tell you the number of times my dad has helped create and design sets and backdrops for school projects, church functions, and fundraisers. Ah, the perks of having an engineer (and excellent artist) in the family!
  • One of my favorite childhood memories is going to thrift shops and flea markets in search of Disney figurines (you should see the collection we have and the amazing wall display my dad built for them!)--my dad instilled in me the love and appreciate of thrifting that I still have today.
  • He has been a perfect spiritual leader for our family--for as long as I can remember, my parents have always been heavily involved in our church and my dad currently serves as Grand Knight, musician, and Eucharistic Minister.
  • "The best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." True dat! My parents relationship has taught me the value of commitment and respect and had a big impact on what I looked for in my husband. 
  • Dad has never met a stranger; he is very warm and friendly to every person he meets. 
  • My dad has always been my biggest fan--in good times (when I had a solo in the spring musical or when I won my broadcasting awards) and in bad (when I sang "At Last" at the state fair.. and basically my entire volleyball career). 
Dad's 10th year of emceeing a benefit dinner for the local museum, 2012
Doing flint napping demonstrations on "Heritage Day," 2010
Singing along to the "Happy Birthday" song on his 45th birthday, 2008
Joey's Baptism Day, 1993
Father's Day at Coors Field, 2010
Moms surprise luau birthday party, 2010
Dad and Mom on their 20th anniversary, 2009
My parents in Vegas for spring break, 2013
Easter with our family, grandparents, and a few of dad's cousins, 2009
Christmas card outtake, 2004
Dad with his parents and 7 of his brothers, 2009
Joey and dad at a Nuggets game, 2012
Big chair for a big guy (Branson, 2009)!
Christmas Eve, 2011
Dad and me visiting Golden, 2010
The day of my bridal shower, 2012
My wedding day, 2013
Happy Birthday, Dad! I thank God every day for having a father like you and I know you'll be a fun and incredible Grandpa to Baby Sand! Love you and can't wait to celebrate with you this weekend!!
This will forever be my favorite picture.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs