Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Political, Godly, and Smutty (My Reads from 2012)

For as long as I can remember, I've read before going to sleep. My mom and Aunt Nancy instilled a love of books and reading into me at a young age (I can remember reading "Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle" to myself before bed when I was about 8 or 9).

I typically try reading as many books as I can each year but this last year kind of fell through with the whole wedding planning/bridal magazines thing.

But I'm married now so.. I'm back!!

I am always looking for new book suggestions and love when ya'll blog about what you've read so I thought I'd share my twenty-twelve reads with you!

You may have heard me say this before but I couldn't stand The Busy Brides Bible by Angela Kear. The only time this book would be helpful to someone is if the bride-to-be has never heard of a wedding before--this guide had no real insight.
This is a great read--I booked Margaret Hoover (Herbert Hoover's great-granddaughter) for my political talk show last year and her publicist sent a copy of the book for our host to look over. If you're into politics, I highly recommend American Individualism. (P.S. She was an amazing guest--very smart and pleasant)
Oh, a girl close to my own heart. The whole memoir is really fun and witty but this single quote from Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? made the whole book : "What I’ve noticed is that almost no one who was a big star in high school is also big star later in life. For us overlooked kids, it’s so wonderfully fair." Amen, sista.
Oh. My. Gah. This book made me laugh out loud (several times, in fact). Seriously, Bossypants. Check it out.
Have you ever heard of Tammy Maltby? I actually discovered her through Pinterest (she is a fabulous cook and makes the best looking desserts and side dishes) and went to her website and discovered that she is a nationally known Christian speaker and television personality. The God Who Sees You is so honest, inspiring and beautifully written and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.
This is actually the 3rd or 4th time I have read Last Dance at the Frosty Queen but it's so funny and smart and it never gets old!
Same author as the previous one--seriously, if you're from a small town, read Boy Minus Girl. You'll understand why once you've finished it.
Hands down one of my top five favorite books of all time. What Alice Forgot sucks you in right from the start and keeps a tight hold on you through all 496 pages (quickest read of my life--I could NOT put it down).
I'm embarrassed to have this on the same list as "American Individualism," "The God Who Sees You," and "What Alice Forgot" but I did read it for book club so it's gotta go on the list. I have a ton to say about this book so stay tuned for a looonnnngggg post.
*ahem* well, I started the first one so I had to..
I'm not kidding--long blog post coming soon.
I just downloaded Gone Girl (Gillian Flynn), Drinking and Tweeting (Brandi Glanville), and Unbroken (Laura Hillenbrand) onto my Kindle so I'm looking forward to cuddling up with these books as the cold weather/snow continues.

Do you have any book suggestions? I'm always looking!

Party, Party, I like to Party

5 comments:

  1. I read before bed too. :) What Alice Forgot is on my list and the library computer said it was in the other day but it wasn't on the shelf! oh well, I'll get it eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I have been trying to figure out what my next read should be...this helps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes there is some irony in your list. I read Gone Girl-- get ready it totally sucks you in but then is totally awful in a sick kind of way but you can't put it down; though it could have done with a few less swear words for me.

    Adding a bunch of these to my want to read list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Tina Fey and Mindy so im sure those are some good reads! Im now following you back.
    http://www.navywif33.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome list! I loved Bossypants! I actually got it as an audiobook, and Tina read it to me, it was hilarious. I will have to check out the other books, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs