Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Fat Tuesday Reflections

Are you ready for a somewhat sad and pitiful story?

No? Well, I'm going to tell it anyway! (Feel free to skip :)

I am on the steering team for our Magnificat Mom's group at church and I absolutely love it -- I have made some wonderful friends who I meet with for play dates, coffee/wine drinking, etc., and have learned so much about myself and our Catholic faith along the way! Anyway, I signed up to bring an egg dish to our meeting last Thursday, which I COMPLETELY forgot about until Wednesday evening. I ended up opting to make this last minute and had it all prepared Wednesday night and ready to pop in the oven for Thursday morning. 

So I get up early...

Bake my casserole...

Make myself look somewhat presentable...

Wake up Jax/get him ready...

Take casserole out of oven...

Make coffee/prepare Jackson's milk cup...

Fasten "handy" plastic top (with handle!) to my casserole dish...

Grab casserole dish by handle + coffee + milk + purse + diaper bag...

Watch casserole fall in slow motion...

Stand there like an idiot for 10 seconds and pray that it miraculously stuck to the pan.
"SON OF A...." I started to yell, quickly stopping myself as I saw my fast-learning toddler round the corner. Brandon heard the thud/near cursing, came running downstairs, witnessed the mess, and began to nervously laugh... which in turn made me laugh (which was probably better than crying). My initial thoughts were to say "screw it," go back to bed, and skip the meeting, but I knew it wouldn't be fair of me to back out of my commitment... So, I did the logical thing and rolled into the McDonald's drive-thru, ordered one-dozen burritos and Sausage McMuffins, and headed to our meeting. 

The morning may have started off on the wrong foot, but it quickly turned around when I started visiting with the other moms and listening to the fabulous Jessica's insight on Sacramental Preparation. While Jessica spoke to our group about her favorite resources and how to approach each Sacrament with your child, it dawned on me that the Lenten season is upon us -- HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?! 

I know I talked last year about how Lent is my favorite time of the liturgical year, but I think it's worth repeating since it is a time of hope, peace, and renewal in both the Church as well as ourselves. To be completely honest, it never really clicked with me just how powerful and special this time of year is until I had a son of my own. (Side Note: Some kids at the library weren't letting Jackson play with them a few weeks ago and my first instinct was to run to his side, scold them, and protect him, but I knew I needed to just stand back and let him handle it -- it obviously phased me a lot more than it did him, because he just shrugged it off and found another new friend to play with while I went home and cried, pondering how Mary was able to be so perfect and full of grace while watching her Son die on the cross not just those who loved him, but for those who spat at him, threw rocks, and inserted nails into His hands and feet.) 

It wasn't until after I had Jackson that I realized Lent isn't about giving up things for Christ; it's about becoming closer to Him. When this realization came to be, I decided it was time to stop giving up things for petty reasons ("Ooh, if I give up candy, I can lose some weight!") and start taking up things to better my relationship with Him. Over the last few years, I have done this by reading the daily Scriptures and reflections on my Laudate app, as well as reading through/studying Fr. Robert Barron's daily reflection emails (which I highly, highly recommend). 

I have decided to continue doing these things this Lenten season, but will also be adding something new: During Jessica's talk on Thursday, she mentioned having weekly adoration "dates" with her son, which is probably the coolest thing I have ever heard. So, Jackson and I will start having these dates AT LEAST once a week as well and I cannot be more excited! 

I pray that you all have a peaceful and fulfilling Lenten season. Here's to a wonderful 40 days!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs