Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Blessings (and Thanking God)

My brother came over on Friday evening to visit--I hadn't seen him all week so it was nice to just sit down and catch up on life for a few hours. The crisp autumn weather was absolutely glorious that night and something in my heart was telling me to go outside and walk.. so I did.. and my brother joined me.

That walk was exactly what my soul needed.

We walked a total of three miles and spent the entire time talking and reminiscing about our grandparents who have passed away, the small town our mom grew up in, our hopes and dreams, the goodness of God, hard times in our lives, and anything else that was in our hearts and on our minds. We eventually stumbled upon a beautiful golf course (Brandon and I live across the street from a country club) and continued our walk along its long, winding path.

Time stood still for a minute as I inhaled the fresh, cool air and admired the changing maple trees, ablaze in burnt reds and golden yellows.

"How did I get to be so blessed?"
If you need proof that God exists, head outside this month and walk around for a bit (Source).
Seriously. 
  • I am happily married to my best friend; the most patient and understanding man I have ever known.
  • I'm carrying and growing the symbol of our love and commitment to one another inside of me.
  • If I had the option to personally pick and choose who I wanted in my family, I would chose the same fun bunch that I have now (seriously, I love my family--immediate, extended, and in-laws!). 
  • Kansas is beautiful--I don't care what people say (or what Business Insider magazine thinks)! I am proud to call the "Sunflower State" my adopted home.
  • I have the greatest job in the world--it never feels like work and I get to use talents to serve our Lord Jesus Christ and His Holy Church every single day.
  • "Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." -Mark Twain (well, I have the first two at least; not so much with the sleepy conscience!)
  • I have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food in the refrigerator, and a little money left over each month to give back to our Church and community. 
Business Insider, I give you the Flint Hills of Kansas (source).
I have been friends with most everyone in the picture since childhood/junior high.
The Wernsman/Sandmeier crew on vacation--March 2012.
Yes, I am even blessed by this girl who shows me unconditional love all hours of the day (even at 1:30am, when I'm trying to sleep).
It was then I thanked God for this moment and for this beautiful life. It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of this crazy world we live in and I so often forget to thank Him for all of the blessings he bestows upon my family and me.

Our gospel last week was 2 Kings 5, which is the story of when God healed Naaman of leprosy. Fr. Kevin talked about how our God saves and how we need to take the time to thank Him more--sure, we may talk to God on a regular basis, but how often are we praying and talking to Him just to say "thank you"? Too often, we pray when we need something: somebody we love is hurting, we are facing struggles in our jobs or relationships, we need help and guidance in making a decision, etc. Our God is so merciful and good; we need to learn to take the time to thank Him.

I am going to make a conscious effort to thank God more throughout my day: when I've just completed a project at work, when I'm reading in bed next to my husband, even when I'm driving to the grocery store for the third time that day. I will thank Him and continue to lift His name on high.



Won't you do the same?

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful Annie. A wonderful reminder to look for the good and focus on those things. Just as we love to give good things to our children, so the Lord loves to give to us, but don't we all like it better when they say "thanks" :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs