Thursday, October 17, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I'm sure many of you saw the title of this post, rolled your eyes, and thought "You're just now making your own laundry detergent?!" Yes, I know.. I'm super behind on the times when it comes to making my own, natural detergent.. but at least I finally joined the party, right?? Right?!

Our friend Jana is the one who originally turned me on to making my own laundry detergent--I knew people were doing it but I never really considered trying because we don't spend that much on store bought detergent to begin with (maybe $20/yr?). Anyway, after Jana finished explaining how easy it is to make and how much money it saves (no need to buy expensive Dreft for baby clothes!), I was sold.

I couldn't wait to try it!

*4 Months Later*

A couple of weeks ago, I'm in Jr.'s nursery looking at all of the wonderful gifts he has received when I notice a few of his outfits laying on the changing table. "I need to fold these and put them away in his dresser," I thought to myself. It then dawned on me that I needed to wash them first.. but I couldn't because all we had was the regular store bought detergent. So, I grabbed my keys and my purse and headed to the store to buy Borax, Washing Soda, and Ivory soap! Side note: if you shop at Dillon's/King Soopers/any Kroger affiliated store, the Borax and Washing Soda are on a bottom shelf in the laundry detergent aisle.. it took me forever to find!

So far, I'm very happy with our homemade laundry detergent! I went ahead and made powdered detergent but if you prefer liquid, there is a recipe for that as well. Here's the 'cipe (some new slang I just invented) I used from DIY Natural:
  • 1 bar (4.5 ounces) of shaved bar soap (Ivory, Dr. Bronner's, ZOTE)
  • 1 cup of Borax
  • 1 cup of Washing Soda
Thoroughly stir together for 5 minutes and enjoy!

And that is it! As you can see, I just bought a small plastic tub at Dollar General ($2) to store mine in.

Maybe one of these days I'll get fancy like the DIY Natural guy did..

Do you make your own laundry detergent? What do you think of it?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs