Friday, August 1, 2014

Serenity

Do you know the Joni Mitchell classic "Big Yellow Taxi"?

If you answered no, these lyrics might jog your memory:

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

(The Counting Crows also did a terrible remake of it sometime in the mid 2000s--if this is the only version you know, Google Joni's version.) 

Ain't that the truth?

I was singing the song to myself yesterday as Jax and I went for a walk at my parent's house in the country.

Growing up, I never appreciated living in the country; as far as I was concerned, we were in the middle of nowhere and my social life was lacking because of it (which is silly because my best friend and I were still at each others houses every single day). Now that I'm an adult and am living in the city with a family of my own, I have a new found love and appreciation of escaping the hustle and bustle of Denver and returning home to the quiet and serene country. There is nothing lovelier than sitting out on my parent's patio at dusk, sipping on hot tea, and watching the stars make their nightly debut. 

I can't believe I didn't appreciate the beauty and tranquility of the country when I lived here.. You really don't know what you've got til it's gone. I feel so blessed to have such a quiet and lovely place to come home to when we visit my parents and am looking forward to Jax spending summers in the country with Grammy and Papa (and with his Nana who just bought a house in the country too!).

I'll leave you today with this Prayer for Peace of Mind by St. Francesca Xavier Cabrini--take time this weekend to enjoy the beauty of the world around you and to thank God for all of the blessings in your life.

Fortify me with the grace of Your Holy Spirit and give Your peace to my soul that I may be free from all needless anxiety, solicitude and worry. Help me to desire always that which is pleasing and acceptable to You so that Your will may be my will.

See you all Monday!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness that version (now is the first time I've heard it) is a million times better than the Counting Crows. I didn't even know theirs was a remake.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs