Thursday, September 6, 2012

Apple Pecan Pie Bars

It's September, which means it's Fall is my book (even though temperatures are still in the upper 80s here in good old Kansas!).

Fall is my favorite season--the leaves are changing, the temperatures are cooler and the food is amazing (i.e. everything is apple-y, pumpkin-ish or full of Tryptophans--yum!!). My favorite Fall food has to be pecan pie. So I was especially excited when I found this recipe for Pecan Pie Bars from The Recipe Critic. I changed it up a little bit by adding apple which gives it a different kind of sweetness and texture that I know you'll love!

Also, an important side note: This is DELICIOUS warmed up in the microwave with vanilla ice cream on top. Brandon and I tried it like that last night and LOVED it--Brandon had a couple servings of it (I would have, but I'd had a big, greasy breakfast and pizza for dinner, so I figured I was pushing it quite a bit).

What's your favorite Fall food? Let me know in the comments section!

Anngredients:

For crust:
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
For topping:
  •  1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 2 cups chopped pecans
  • 1/2 apple, skinless and chopped
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9x13 pan with foil, leaving enough for a two inch overhang on all sides.
  2. Start by making the crust--mix together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add in the flour and salt and mix until crumbly. 
  3. Press crust into foiled tin pan and bake for 20 minutes. 
  4. While crust is baking, prepare the filling by combining the butter, brown sugar, and heavy cream in a saucepan and stir over medium heat. Simmer the mixture for 1 minute, then stir in chopped pecans and apples. 
  5. Remove crust from oven and immediately pour the pecan filling over the hot crust, spreading it to cover the entire surface.
  6. Return pan to over and cook for additional 20 minutes.
  7. Remove pan and allow bars to fully cook in the pan.
  8. Use the foil overhang to lift out the bars and transfer them to a cutting board. Peel off the foil, slice into bars and serve. 



8 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! Adding to my fall to-try recipe list! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that sounds really good. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newest follower here! I found you through the blog hop, you have a wonderful blog! I hope you stop by and say hello, I'm having a giveaway right now!

    Look forward to reading more.
    -Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey
    Nice post..keep sharing.
    Visit KhetiGaadi
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing in detail. You just cleared all my doubts.
    tractor brands

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doctor Educon Consultancy serves as top overseas education consultants based in Ahmednagar, Maharashtra.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs