Monday, October 1, 2012

Mamma Nancy and Annie's Thrift Store Adventures!

I love thrifting--and I used to be really good at it! In fact, during my first few years of college, ARC and Goodwill were the only places I'd shop for clothes and random treasures (I bought the MC Hammer "Too Legit To Quit" cassette tape at GW a few years back--who in there right mind would part with that?). 

These last couple of years, I haven't been able to thrift as much (which probably has to do with the fact that I'm a broke college student who never gets to clothes shop anymore..). Well, I take that back--I did a little bit of clothes shopping at G-Dub over the last year that included:

Last years classy Christmas attire!

The shirt for my 90s themed birthday party (I was Courtney Love, yo)!

One of my anchor jackets!

(Not pictured)
Another news anchor jacket
My 'Rolling Stones' shirt
Hollister Shirt
Adorable blue and grey peasant shirt
and much more!
I'm happy to report that my lack of thrift store shopping/Goodwill hiatus came to an end a few weeks ago when my wonderful MIL2B (mother-in-law to be) and I took a Saturday morning to browse around several thrift stores. Here is what we found on our adventure..
This coat/towel hanger with a mirror? We actually had no clue what this contraption is--if someone could tell me, it would be much appreciated. 

This is really gorgeous--but out of our price range at $100.

Hands down (or in this case, one arm down) the greatest mannequin I've even seen.

The Shopping Queens!

Yes, that is a Samuel L. Jackson bobble head that I didn't buy and regret every single day.

 There was a torrential downpour of rain we had to run through to get back to our car.
 
 I now present to you our purchases!

 
 I found this at The Salvation Army and instantly fell in love with it. You can use it to store a bottle of wine (great for gift giving) or as a decoration!

Nancy scored this beautiful rug for only $40! It matches all of her living room furniture and adds more dimension to the room! Very good buy!

That concludes our shopping adventure--we didn't do too bad, huh? And for real, if anyone knows what that weird towel/coat/mirror thing is, please let me know!

16 comments:

  1. hmm, I think it's called a valet. Men can hang their jacket on it and place their wallet, change, etc. on the table part...?? Love thrifting too! Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of that--I'll have to look it up and see what other ones look like. Good to know, thanks :)

      Delete
  2. love the coat/ towel/mirror/table whatever..too funny.
    I always get fabulous Halloween stuff at Goodwill ,every time! and sometimes score treasures....guess it just all depends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thrifting adventuring! That is a valet, though a lot of them do not have the mirror. I am in love with that crazy mannequin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm obsessed with the Goodwill (and thrift stores). Seriously, a large portion of my shoes/wardrobe/home decor is from there. Check out these posts from my blog, as I'm sure you'd appreciate them!

    http://thepolkadotshoes.blogspot.com/2012/09/my-245-shabby-chic-guest-room.html
    and
    http://thepolkadotshoes.blogspot.com/2012/03/7-shoes-2-scarves.html

    Found you through SSS, where I"m number 52, 61 and 66. Thanks for sharing your blog!

    Blessings from Oklahoma,
    Meredith at thepolkadotshoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thrift stores rock! It looks like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You missed out on Mace! That is very sad! I love that pink vintage bowl and pitcher, but I don't think I'd put out $100. Thanks for linking at Printbelle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think we may make some time this weekend for thrifting
    , its been awhile.Yes that is a Valet....the mens suits, the coat hangs on the back, pants on the rail and pocket contents on the table. Load up same way and comb hair and off we go.............not used these days no doubt as men probably change the suits more frequently.
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it's called a Valet or I've heard it called a Personal Butler. I'd love to have one of those myself -- a REAL personal butler, that is ..... or a personal masseuse. Heck, I'd settle for a Samuel Jackson bobble head!

    Great blog. I'm a die hard thrifter myself; and I love making myself jealous by reading other thrifter's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that mannequin looked familiar! I write for ThriftingDenver.org I read a little more and saw that Adele is a girl crush?! That is too cute! Happy thrifting, I hope to run into you one day during our thrifting adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute post! Can you believe that mannequin? Love the rug!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time!!thats mannequin is epic! even if you don't get to shop as much anymore, you should really make a feature of your trips, its funny!! thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is called a valet like Cecilia said. You usually see them in very fancy hotel rooms. Guys can hang their suit jacket over the hanger, and the silver rod is for their pants. Cool finds! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I think that is a valet. Made me think of Downton Abbey! Thrifting is so much fun. Thanks for sharing your adventures at Gettin' Krafty With It!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great finds! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree thrifting is a fun adventure!
    Looks like you had a blast!
    Thanks for linking up to the Autumn Inspiration Party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogger Template By Designer Blogs